Tasty... This ice cream is scrumptious! It has made repeat performances in our house.
I had a few hot chocolate mix packets left over (you know the marshmallow lovers ones with a whole separate packet just for marshmallows! ;)) that need to be used up. We had a few semi warm days in a row here and it put me in the mood for one of our favorite kind of summer treats, ICE CREAM! The whole family smiles when I set a bowl of this delicious and creamy ice cream out for them..
A must try for any hot chocolate lover.
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 packets hot chocolate mix (a little more than 1/2 cup)
- 5 egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 4 packets mini marshmallows (comes with mix OR 1/2 cup mini marshmallows bits)
- *In a large sauce pan over medium heat combine heavy cream, milk, sugar and salt. Stir continuously until sugar is completely dissolved. Mix in hot chocolate mix and whisk until combined. Remove from heat.
- Pour egg yolks in cream/sugar mixture with a slow & steady stream while whisking and a very fast pace. Be sure to mix until completely incorporated. (if you get egg clumps, strain mixture if needed. ) Place back on heat and let small bubbles form around the edge. Remove from heat and let cool in refrigerator or ice bath.
- Once cooled to a little cooler than room temperature, pour into ice cream maker and churn according to manufactures directions. Once done gently fold in marshmallows. Store in an air tight container until firm, about 24 hours.
makes 1 quart
Adapted from: Bonnie the Baker