Omgosh! I adore these muffins for breakfast. They are easy to make especially if you use a food processor. It makes 18 muffins and are great hot or at room temperature.
I might just have to make another batch this weekend.. Yummm. :)
Sausage & Cheese Muffins
- 16 oz. breakfast sausage (we love maple flavored)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- *Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease & flour muffin tins. In a medium skillet brown sausage over medium heat, breaking up meat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towel lined plate and cool.
- In a large food processor pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, cheese, and cooked sausage until mixture resembles coarse meal; transfer to bowl. Stir in the egg & buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and bake in batches (if needed) until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in tins for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Enjoy!
Makes 18 muffins
Adapted from: Cook's Country mag feb/mar 2008