Over the holidays we made this for a get together we went to. David isn't a Shepherd's pie kind of guy so we added some bbq sauce, bacon, and cheddar cheese to the traditional dish for a fun twist.
This freezes well too. Just let it cool after preparing, cover and freeze. When ready to eat let it thaw, cover and bake 75 minutes. Then uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes longer until heated through.
Bbq Sheherd's Pie
- 2 1/2 lbs. potatoes, peeled & cubed (about 5 medium)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 - 8 strips bacon, cooked, crumbled & divided
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
- parsley, to garnish
- *Place potatoes in a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until tender. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Meanwhile, cook beef and onions in a large skillet over medium until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add in garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in corn, bbq sauce, 3 - 4 slices bacon, 4 oz. cheddar cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, garlic salt, and garlic powder. Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- Spoon meat mixture into a 9 x9 baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top; sprinkle with remaining bacon and cheese.
- Bake @ 350 degrees F. for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with parsley if desired.