Bacon green bean goodness. Yes, its bacon again. Do you see the pattern? lol ;) Anywho, these green beans were an instant favorite from the first time we tried them. I can't count how many times we have eaten these over the last few months alone. It's a staple in our house. And these little babies will be on my table come Thanksgiving too.
And as for the mushrooms in it, sometimes we feel like them, and sometimes we don't. If the fresh green beans don't look so good at the store then I buy frozen just be sure to thaw them first.
Bacon Braised Green Beans
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lb. button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- kosher salt
- 1 lb. green beans, stems removed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- *Coat a large straight sided skillet lightly with olive oil. Add the bacon, garlic and red pepper flakes and bring to a medium heat. Cook until the bacon has gotten brown and crispy and has let off most of the fat. When the garlic becomes golden brown and aromatic, remove and discard.
- Add the mushrooms (if using) to the bacon pan, season with salt, to taste, and cook until they become soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beans and the chicken stock, season with salt, to taste, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 40 to 45 minutes. If the liquid reduces too much during the cooking time, add water to make up the difference. Remove the lid and cook until almost all of the liquid is reduced. When done the beans should be very tender, almost falling apart and flavorful. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve
Source: Food Network