Coconut and pork.... Where have you been all my life??? Combined with a ginger dipping sauce I find myself not wanting to share these with the rest of the family.
Coconut Pork Egg Rolls
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten OR water
- oil, for frying (opt)
- *In a wok or large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add pork, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Stir fry the pork until it's no longer pink and all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 - 6 minutes. Add carrots, coconut flakes, and sugar, mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes.
- In a small dish place egg, lightly beat or water can be substituted. Lay 1 wrapper down like a diamond, a point facing you. Spoon out about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center, fold bottom corner over filling, rolling snugly but gingerly half way to filling. Fold in both sides snugly against filing (like an envelope). Moisten edge of last flap with your finger dipped in egg or water. Roll bottom up to top tucking filling in along the way if needed. Seal top corner with egg or water sealing it. Seal any spots that are open. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Preheat a large skillet with about 2 inches of oil over medium - high heat. When oil is hot, fry egg rolls seam side down first. When every side is brown and golden drain on paper towels. OR Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease egg rolls all over and bake on a sheet pan 10 -12 minutes or until golden, turning once. Serve with Ginger Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small piece ginger root
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- *In a blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve with Coconut Pork Egg Rolls.
Makes 12 egg rolls and about 1 cup of dipping sauce
Egg Rolls Slightly adapted from : Food Republic
Sauce source: food.com