I had been putting off this recipe for weeks now. I wish I hadn't. This chicken was great! We made it over the weekend for an early dinner. It takes some time but it was well worth the effort.
Peach-Whiskey Bbq Chicken
- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups whiskey
- 12 oz. barbecue sauce
- 18 oz. peach preserves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- 3 whole green onions, thinly sliced
- *Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Heat oil and butter in a heavy oven safe pot over medium high heat. Place chicken thighs, four at a time, in the pot skin side down. Brown both sides, (about 4 to 5 mins each) then remove to a plate and repeat until all chicken is browned.
- Pour off half the grease, then return to stove. Add onions to pan and stir, cooking for 2 mins. Pour whiskey into pot (be careful if you're using an open flame, turning off the flame is a good idea, light then turn back on). Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan, allow whiskey to reduce for 2 minutes. Pour in barbecue sauce, peach preserves, water, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Stir until combined, then return chicken to pot skin side up. Cover and put in oven. Cook for 90 minutes. To serve top with peach/bbq sauce and green onions.
Source: Pioneer Woman