Hey all! I have a great recipe for you all today! I have been serving this up for years now. It's one of our staples. Very hearty and filling. They look impressive with not to much work.
- 19 oz. sweet italian sausage, casting removed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, raw
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded & divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons italian seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. pasta shells, jumbo
- 28 oz. pasta sauce, any favorite
- *Cook shells 2 minutes less than according to package directions. (You want shells to be firm enough to handle stuffing, if to soft, they will tear.) Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile brown sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and spinach. Stir until onions are soft and spinach has wilted. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sausage, onion/spinach mixture, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, italian seasoning, 1/4 cup pasta sauce and salt & pepper.
- Fill each shell with about 1 Tablespoons of mixture. Put in a large glass baking dish with about 1/4 cup of sauce at the bottom. Line shells up with opening on top. When all shells are in dish, cover shells with remaining sauce and bake for 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
Feed 6 to 7, Makes about 30 shells
Adapted from: Caylie H.