I am new to pickling. I have been wanting to try it out for a few years now and just haven't seem to have a chance. I decided to start with something I really enjoy and go eat a lot of. So, the first thing that came to my mind was jalapenos!!
These turned out great!! Crunchy and spicy... I even had some on my eggs this morning. :)
P.s. Be sure to wear gloves.
Yield: 1 pint
- 1/2 lb. jalapenos, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- *Wash peppers and cut off stems. Slice peppers into 1/8 inch slices and place them in a pint jar with sealing lid. Peel and crush garlic clove place in jar, set aside.
- Mix vinegar, salt, sugar, water, and turmeric in a small sauce pan and slowly heat to near boil. Pour warm brine over peppers in jar. Allow mixture to cool slightly; seal with the lid and store in refrigerator. Let peppers marinate for at least 3 days (I usually do about a week before opening) before opening.
- With refrigeration peppers will keep for several months.
Adapted from: Western Gardeners