With this lovely long weekend we had, we got a few things done that were needed to be done. So today was kind of a lazy day for us. While my 3 kids (Hubby included) played Skylanders this afternoon I was off in the kitchen making this little gem. All the greatness of S'mores with the richness and sophistication of a Cheesecake. A nice treat to end a great weekend with my family. :)
- 2 cups graham crackers, finely crushed
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 24 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 oz. semi sweet or milk chocolate, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- broken graham crackers (opt)
- *Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For crust, combine crushed graham crackers, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and the melted butter. Press evenly onto the bottom and about 1 1/2 inches up the side of a 9 inch spring form pan. Set aside.
- *For Filling, in a heavy small saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, the 3/4 cup sugar, sour cream, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add flour; beat well. Add the cooled chocolate. Add eggs one at a time, beating on low speed just until combined.
- Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Place pan in a shallow backing pan on the oven rack. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken (center may look soft but will set up as it cools).
- Cool cheesecake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen crust from side of pan. Cool 30 to 45 minutes more. Remove side of pan (leave cheesecake in shallow baking pan). Preheat broiler.
- *To make Ganache, In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup whipping cream just to boiling over medium high heat. Remove from heat and add 6 oz of chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes or chill if necessary until slightly thickened. Spoon ganache evenly over the cheesecake, allowing it to drip down the side (set aside any remaining). Pile marshmallows in the center of cheesecake.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 30 to 60 seconds or just until marshmallows turn golden brown (watch closely to prevent burning). Cover loosely; chill at least 4 hours. Before serving, drizzle with any remaining ganache and, if desired, top with broken graham crackers.
Makes 12 to 16 servings about 583 calories
Adapted from: BHG mag Best Comfort Food 2011
Linked to: Trick or Treat Tuesdays, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday Talent Show