We love almost anything that's Cajun. This version of the sloppy joe is a great twist on the American classic. We like to toast up a loaf of french bread cut in up and serve this on that.
Cajun Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or as desired
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper, to tast
- french bread, rolls or sandwich buns
- *In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, bell pepper, and onion until the beef is no longer pink. Drain. Return to skillet.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, sugar, Cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine, reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer 15 mins, stir occasionally.
- Serve on toasted bread (we love to eat this on French bread)
Adapted from: The Complete Southern Cookbook