A few years back I was with my bestie talking about my hubby and I's first date. It was a restaurant where I tried this sandwich for the first time. As I was dreaming about the past she handed me her recipe for her favorite Monte Cristo sandwich. Well let me just say every time I bite into this wonderful sandwich I am drifted back to that magical first date with the only man of my dreams. :)
Battered fried goodness, not for the faint of heart!
- 12 slices Texas Toast bread (sometimes I use regular bread in the middle)
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices american cheese
- 20 thin slices black forest ham
- 20 thin slices honey roasted turkey
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- plastic wrap
- vegetable oil, for frying
- powder sugar, for dusting
- raspberry jam
- *Lay out 3 slices of bread, Place 5 slices of turkey and 2 slices of swiss cheese on one piece of bread. On another place 5 slices of ham and 2 slices of american cheese. Add an extra piece of bread in the middle to make it a triple bread sandwich. Cut in half diagonal then secure with toothpicks on corners be sure to angle toothpicks. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Assemble remaining sandwiches and store in fridge for at least one hour or up to eight hours.
- In a large skillet heat oil about half way up the pan (or about 2 inches deep) over medium high heat.
- To mix batter, beat eggs in medium bowl add in water, milk, sugar, and salt, beat until mixed. Mix in flour, and baking powder mix until smooth. Batter will be thick, if its too thick, you can always add a small amount of more milk. Unwrap sandwiches and dip into batter carefully covering it all. In batches place in hot oil and cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on cooling rack over paper towels. Lightly dust with powder sugar while still hot. Remove toothpicks and enjoy hot with a side of raspberry jam for dipping.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Feeds 4-8 (I can only eat a half of one.)
Source: Caylie H.
Linked to: Weekend Potluck, Totally Tasty Tuesdays