I am kind of sad this year that we won't be making it to Mardi Gras. But to still celebrate this fun and festive time of year we are having a few cajun meals. One of our favorites are these Beignets. They are great as an appetizer or a main course with dirty rice . :)
Crawfish Beignets w/ Cajun Dipping Sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb. chopped cooked crawfish tail meat or shrimp
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup bread flour
- cajun seasoning, to taste
- oil, for frying
- *In a large skillet or fryer heat oil to 375 degrees or medium high.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, crawfish, onions, butter, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir in flour until blended.
- When oil is hot drop Tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into oil. Fry until golden brown all around. Drain on wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle lightly cajun seasoning on top while still hot.
Cajun Dipping Sauce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish, opt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish if desired and pepper sauce. Serve with Beignets.
Makes about 24 Beignets and 3/4 cup sauce
Slightly Adapted from: Taste of Home mag Feb/Mar 2010
Linked to: Totally Tasty Tuesdays Weekend Potluck