Sometimes your just not in the mood to cook. So what do you do? Well if your like us you reach for the phone and order take out. For us if it's not pizza, its Chinese food. I have quite a few favorites such as sesame chicken, orange chicken, and honey walnut shrimp.
Today I felt like Chinese but didn't want take out so after watching a triple D (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) episode I saw a restaurant make it. Now you can make your own take out. :)
Honey Walnut Shrimp
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup walnuts, halves or chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 Tablespoons half & half
- 4 Tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 lemon, juiced to taste, I use 3/4
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons honey, to taste I use 4
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp, medium to large size peeled & deveined
- oil, for frying
- chives, chopped to garnish
- *In a small sauce pan heat water over medium high stir in sugar and 1 Tablespoon honey. Mix until dissolved add walnuts and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 mins and stirring a few times, remove from pan with slotted spoon allow to drain on a plate or sheet pan. (Now you can stop here and leave as is, or you can take it a step further and take a small frying pan and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan over medium high heat, when oil is hot add walnut back in and fry for 2-2 1/2 mins. Be sure you keep a close eye on them, and stirring they brown quickly and can burn super fast. When lightly golden remove with slotted spoon and allow to cool again. Set aside. They taste like cracker jacks to me when they are fried like this.)
- To make sauce, in a medium mixing bowl combine mayo, half & half, sweetened condensed milk, lemon, juice, remaining honey, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until all lumps are gone. Set in refrigerator while shrimp cooks.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat add enough oil to come up about 1 inch on the side.
- To make shrimp, Beat 4 egg whites until light and frothy, about 2 minutes. Add in cornstarch and a pinch of salt, mix until combined. Add in shrimp and toss to coat completely. (If your shrimp are not cooked (pink), then boil for 1 minute until pink then let cool and then continue.) When oil is hot add in shrimp. cooking in batches. When browned all over about 4-5 mins. Drain on wire rack over paper towels. When all shrimp is done toss to coat in sauce. We serve this over rice, white or brown and steamed broccoli. Top with a shrimp and sprinkle on candied walnuts and chopped chives (if desired).
Inspired by: Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives
Linked to : Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally tasty Tuesdays, Trick or Treat Tuesdays Midweek Fiesta Fabulous Friday