Back when me and my hubby were dating, there was this little Greek restaurant right next to where I worked at the time. We had many dates there and he would pick this soup for me when I was sick in bed. Fast forward to today we now live over an hour from our favorite little Greek restaurant and haven't been there in ages, but I will never forget our special time we had there.
I have tried several different recipes for this over the years and this is as close as I have gotten. Now this soup isn't quite like the one way back then but its a close second to me and still brings me back down memory lane.
Isn't that the very definition of comfort food? :)
Greek Egg Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)
- 8 cups chicken stock, homemade or good quality
- 3/4 cup rice, short or medium grain
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed (to taste, we use 2/3 or about 5 lemons)
- 6 egg yolks, to taste (i like it creamy or 3 whole eggs can be used if desired)
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 cup chicken, cooked & shredded (opt)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- *Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large stock pot. When boiling add rice and reduce to simmer following cooking time on package. Meanwhile zest one lemon in a medium mixing bowl. Roll lemons on counter to loosen juices up, slice and juice into a measuring cup. Add juice, egg yolks, and salt into mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- When rice is done take pot off of the heat, slowly add 2 ladle full of stock to egg/lemon mixture. Stirring constantly as to not curdle the eggs (you add to fast and you will have scrambled eggs if your worried that you might have scrambled them you can always pour it through a a fine strainer to be certain).
- When all is combined add back to pot and add butter and chicken (if desired) stir until all is combined. Return to heat on low until chicken is warmed and butter is melted. It will thicken slightly more. Season with salt and pepper. We serve this with a green salad, toast crusty french bread, and extra lemon on the side . :)
Source: Forkful of Comfort
Linked to: Midweek Fiesta Full Plate Thursday Fabulous Friday