** 10/2012 - I updated this recipe to add extra celery, carrots, and some butter. Original had 1 11/2 cups each for veggies and 3 Tablespoons butter.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 6 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 cups celery, diced or sliced
- 1 3/4 cups carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 8 1/2 - 9 1/2 cups chicken stock, homemade or good quality
- 1 1/2lbs. chicken, cooked & bite size or shredded
- 10 oz. egg noodles
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, fresh
- salt & pepper, to taste
- dash cayenne pepper, opt.
- *In a large dutch oven or stock pot melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add celery and cook about 2 minutes. Then add carrots, onions, bay leaves. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until tender but not brown and 5 to 10 mins.
- Add garlic, thyme, rosemary and stock. Bring to a boil stir in noodles. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for about 6 mins. Stir in chicken and let simmer for about 15 mins. Add in remaining butter and season with parsley, cayenne, salt and pepper. Allow butter to melt then serve.
Feeds 6 to 8
Source: Forkful Of Comfort
Linked to: Weekend Potluck