Leftover mashed potatoes will never be the same again! I always make extra potatoes Just to make these the next day! Great for a snack, appetizer, or game day munchies. :)
Mashed Potato Balls
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions OR 1 Tbsp chives
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I use Italian)
- oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl add mashed potatoes, stir in egg, cheese, onions, and bacon. Shape into 1 inch balls, roll in bread crumbs. Let stand for 15 mins.
- In the meantime Heat a medium skillet over medium high with 1 in of oil. When hot, fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm. I like to dip mine in ranch! :) Enjoy
Source: Taste of Home Holiday magazine October 2010