It's just not Christmas time here at our house until a cookie sheet of these come out of the oven! I love the surprise bite of chocolate in the middle, gives it a sweet note. These cookies are wonderful slightly warmed to make the kiss a bit melty.
If you choose not to use the kisses in the middle you might want to use a little more sugar. The inside of the cookie is not too sweet to help with the sweetness of the kiss and the sugar on the outside.
Chocolate Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup butter, unsalted & softened
- 3/4 cup powder sugar plus more for rolling/shaking
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped (opt)
- 36 Hersey kisses
- *Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cream butter, sugar, vanilla on low until fluffy. Add in flour, cocoa powder, milk and salt until blended. Fold in nuts and roll into 1 inch balls. (I weighted mine out the last time I made these and each cookie was .05 oz each) Then take the balls and flatten slightly in hand, add one kiss in the middle and seal close carefully rolling back into a ball.
- Place on a parchment lined cookies sheet about an inch apart. Bake for about 10-11 mins. (since these are already brown cookies I took one out and cut it open to see if it was cooked through.)
- Allow to cool for 5-6 mins then place a few at a time in a sandwich size zip bag with a few Tablespoons of powder sugar. Shake until coated and set on plate to finish cooling. If needed can reroll in powder sugar again after cooled.
Makes about 36 cookies :)
Adapted from my Great Grandma