I never got the chance to meet my grandmother on my father's side. She past away when my father was a teenager. The only thing I have to feel connected to her is these potatoes. It was something she always served during the holidays. I have no clue where this recipe came from but I really love it especially the crispy top. These potatoes are not diet food but calories don't count during Thanksgiving right?
- 3 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes (about 6 medium size)
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- *Peel and cube potatoes. Place in large stock pot and cover with cold water about 2 inches over potatoes. Bring to boil and cook until fork tender. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Drain potatoes, then place back in pot off heat. Mix with 5 Tablespoons butter, sour cream, cream cheese, garlic salt, & garlic powder. Mash with potato masher and mix while mashing.
- Pour into a 10 X 10 baking dish, spread evenly, take reserved 3 tbsp of butter and melt in microwave (about 20 - 25 seconds). Pour over top of potatoes evenly. Lightly sprinkle more garlic salt, paprika, and parsley over top.
- Bake until lightly browned about 25-30 mins. If you are in a rush to brown you can use the broiler check every 1 to 2 minutes to be sure not to burn them.
Serves about 8
I hope you and your family enjoy these as much as my family does. :)
Source: Forkful of Comfort (Grandmother)